Thursday 7 March 2013

What's in the box?

If you read my first (ever) blog you will know that this all came about for a variety of reasons, so it follows that my topics will be likewise varied. Essentially, the plan for this blog is to do what it says on the box (see above 'description' banner).


There are many efficiencies to be found around us, but sometimes they hard to see when we are busy 'getting stuff done'. One of my favourite efficiency tools are smart phone applications for grocery shopping. Instead of a running paper grocery I add items to my "basket" immediately. When I am ready to submit the order I check for duplicates, obvious omissions (usually milk), choose a delivery day & time and then place the order.

If smart phone applications are not for you then supermarket websites have many bells and whistles to help make online shopping practically idiot-proof (most people I know have had at least one online grocery shop "fail"). Tools that list favourite or regular groceries save precious searching time, and alerts flag omitted regular items and promotions or deals for which you qualify. You can even submit a previous order if your time is in super short supply.

One criticism of online grocery shopping is the required organisation, although my view is that it requires a different sort of organisation.

  • Immediately adding items to my basket abolishes the paper list, which was not always to hand when needed.
  • Groceries delivered to my door at a specified time reduces unpacking distractions (eg children) by planning activities for them elsewhere in advance. 
  • When someone else shops for me the in-store and in-transit time costs are eliminated, and I avoid juggling child entertainment with shopping (we visit the park instead).

By passing on bits & bobs, tips & hints, and a handful of anecdotes of life as I know it, I hope that you can benefit from (or at least have a giggle at) things I have learnt. In the spirit of sharing, please use the comment section to pass on things you have learnt!

Next time: Order amongst newborn chaos. Does it exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment