Monday 5 August 2013

Working double time at meal time

As Miss grew into a 'big girl', I knew I would need something more than my under developed imagination to entertain, enthuse and educate her.


Meal time gives me Miss and Master's undivided attention, and, having fond memories of my "three wise monkeys" placemat as a child, I thought this might be a good place to start.

I found a huge variety of placemats on offer although I usually prefer the appropriately aged, 'educational' option. Still, there were many to choose from. I ordered Little Wigwam's "Alphabet" placement. Miss found the bright colours immediately attractive, then happily recognised and excitedly named a number of the illustrations from the outset.


courtesy of Little Wigwam

Who is it for?


The suggested age range is three years plus, but I beg to differ. Miss and I have had many discussions about the illustrations. We have talked about the animals, the noises they make and where we might find them in real life. We have talked about the colours, the shapes and what the "real life" size of the illustrated characters might be. We progressed to letter sounds ("D" is for the d-d-duck illustration, d-d-dog, d-d-dinosaur) and in recent months Miss has been visually identifying letters. Miss is still not three.


Will it last?


Yes... But like anything that is well used, well loved, it will show the signs. Exhibit A, belonging to my Miss:







Note: this is entirely my own opinion and I have not received payment of any kind to recommend or positively comment on this product or the supplier, (Little Wigwams).

2 comments:

  1. ooooh, we have the same place mat for Miss NHM! Lol. How funny!

    Miss NHM has had hers since she was a year old (Mr NHM bought it as a stocking filler for her. I was VERY impressed!) and she loves talking about each of the letters.

    Totally recommend this product. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, NHM! When I find a winner I do like to share it!

      I discovered (what I think are) some amazing books recently. Miss and Master are testing running them at the moment. All going well, watch this space for another review...

      Delete